Regular preventive dental care is important for everyone, but studies have shown that men are more likely to neglect their health and ignore negative symptoms. While “If it isn’t broke…” may apply to cars and appliances, it doesn’t work when it comes to your health! Because men often think themselves “too busy” to be bothered with health care, they have increased risk for certain health conditions, including gum disease and oral cancer. Nevertheless, here are a few simple things men (and women) can do to protect their dental health and reduce the risk of tooth loss and other more serious complications.
The Placerville Dental Group understands old habits “die hard,” but taking care of your oral health pays off. You save money while avoiding pain and more time in the dental chair by either preventing problems, or by fixing them when they first start, not months afterwards. Beginning these new habits is the hardest part, but you will see good results by following these tips:
- Brush twice a day for two minutes each time.
- Floss everyday. Flossing prevents cavities and periodontal disease by getting rid of extra plaque and the bits of food stuck between your teeth. Avoid costly dental bills by flossing every day.
- Visit the Placerville Dental Group twice a year. Our local dental professionals provide complete checkups that include oral cancer screenings and all the necessary cleaning to remove plaque and tartar buildup. Your mouth needs regular maintenance, just like an engine, so keep your dental appointments for a well-running mouth.
- Avoid smoking, vaping or other tobacco use. These unhealthy habits damage your overall wellness and especially mouth. Our local Placerville dentists take your health seriously, because most oral cancers occur in men who smoke or chew tobacco. If you use tobacco, it may be difficult to quit, but it’s easy to visit us for regular cleaning and oral cancer screening checks.
- Prevent medication dry mouth. Since men are more likely to be on medications to control blood pressure, it’s important to know about this side effect that may harm your teeth and gums. Dry mouth, a result of less saliva, increases cavity risk. Use a mouthwash formulated to reduce dry mouth symptoms and let our Placerville dentists know that you have dry mouth so they can give you more tips maintain oral health.
Man up if you want to live long and keep your teeth! Taking care of your oral health is never a bad choice. Call us to schedule an appointment today!