Are You at Risk for Gum Disease?
It’s a good idea to periodically do a dental self-assessment between visits to the Placerville Dental Group. Make sure your daily care routine is doing the job it’s supposed to do — keeping your mouth healthy and decay free. Healthy teeth have strong enamel and a solid foundation — including gums that are firm, pink and do not bleed. Striving for your good health, our Placerville dentists work hard to make sure all of our patients enjoy the best oral health possible.
The Importance of Healthy Gums
Gum health affects overall health. Studies show that patients with gum disease, especially its most severe stage of periodontitis, have a higher risk of developing cardiovascular disease, of preterm labor when pregnant, and increased susceptibility to infections and disease. Besides the damage to the body, you also have the expected damage to the mouth. Without a good oral hygiene routine, bacteria and plaque irritate gum tissue, eventually making it inflamed, swollen and painful. If ignored, periodontitis leads to tooth loss and expensive dental bills.
How to Protect Your Gums
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Use an electric toothbrush if you are comfortable with one.
- Floss every day before brushing.
- Have a varied diet that includes mostly fruits and veggies with plenty of vitamin C and calcium.
- Drink mostly water.
- Do not use tobacco or vape.
- Relax! Stress raises hormone levels that increase inflammation of soft tissues, like the gums.
- Visit our Placerville dentist twice a year for preventive care.