Keep Your Teeth!
Some people believe that part of aging is losing teeth, but this doesn’t have to be true! Plenty of older adults keep their teeth their entire life! Teeth can last a lifetime, if they are taken care of well.
As we age, it’s natural to experience changes to our mouth, just like the rest of our bodies. For example, as we age it is common to become less sensitive to pain. This affects how we perceive dental issues, like toothache. It makes pain easier to ignore, leading to bigger problems later if tooth decay is ignored. Our gums also recede from the teeth, making tooth loss more likely.
So how can you maintain a healthy mouth and keep your teeth? The Placerville Dental Group has the answers! Maintaining and improving your dental health requires the following steps:
- Brush twice a day with a soft bristle toothbrush or consider investing in an electric toothbrush.
- Floss daily. The importance of flossing cannot be stressed enough by our Placerville dentists! Flossing keeps your gums healthy and disrupts the bacteria that cause gum disease.
- Stay well hydrated with water. Drink tap water containing fluoride to remineralize the teeth.
- Do not smoke, or stop smoking. Smoking increases the risk of gum disease, tooth decay and tooth loss.
- Do not skip dental exams and cleanings. Even if your daily oral care routine includes daily brushing and flossing, visit the Placerville Dental Group regularly! Good preventive care does just that — it prevents problems.
In a future article, the Placerville Dental Group will discuss how caregivers can help a disabled or elderly loved one have good dental health.